It's time to have the talk!
Those in the sandwich generation are not only dealing with their own needs and the needs of their children, but the needs of their parents as well. Questions and concerns about end of life care, social security, medical decisions, wills, trusts, and estate planning are hitting many adult children sooner than they planned because they have to play a role with their own parents to address these questions.
If you're in this situation, it's important to begin "The Talk" about these matters with your retired or retiring parents as part of your own planning process .
Although the foundation of this talk will be around the financial matters, it should not be limited to these points only. In future articles I will cover a concept called "Real Life Management" in which I discuss how and what to discuss around all aspects of the talk — financial, health, mental attitude and involvement.
A necessary beginning step of the talk is to work with your parents to gather all current financial information and identify all of the points of contact for their accounts such as any names of advisors, accountants, etc. Any work already done regarding estate planning considerations such as trusts, wills, etc. should also be included.
Five Questions that you need answers to...
In order to ensure that you get off on the right foot with these discussions, here are some of the questions that you should be asking of your parents at this early stage of the talk:
- Do you have a will? If so, when was it last updated?
- Have you established a trust or done other more extensive financial planning?
- Do you have a current list of assets, passwords, and important documents and where they are held?
- Do you have a thorough financial plan in place outlining your financial needs, goals, and strategies throughout retirement? And, most importantly, when was the last time that your reviewed it?
- When is the last time you updated the beneficiaries on your retirement accounts, annuities, life insurance, etc?
As always, The Barnowski Financial Group is always here to help you... and your parents,
Plan Smart... Retire Right... Sleep well